Applying for a Visa to enter China

All foreigners intending to enter into China must have a valid visa, except citizens from Japan, Brunei & Singapore.

If you need to enter China on more than one occasion you may wish to consider applying for a multi-entry visa. Please check with the Chinese Consulate in your region before application.

Most visitors to Hong Kong or Macau do not require visas. However, traveling from either Hong Kong or Macau to mainland China requires a visa.

General Requirements for Applying for a Chinese Tourist Visa:

1. A completed Visa Application Form. Forms can be obtained from your local Chinese Consulate

2. Confirmation letter from your booked hotel in China

3. Two 2" X 2" photos showing applicant's full front face

4. Current Passport - must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of application and with sufficient blank visa pages

5. Return flight booking confirmation.

General Requirements for Applying for a Chinese Business Visa:

All of the above plus a letter of invitation from your company, an associated company or a government department.

Exception: For guests of 21 countries entering China via Sanya from an international port (i.e. Hong Kong) visas can be done at the airport. The visas are valid for 15 days. To indentify the applicable countries please visit:

72-hours Visa-Free:
The 72 hour Visa Free entry to China is in effect a transit Visa for that period that allows the visitor to stay in any one of the selected cities for 72 hours.

In order to apply for this Visa-Free arrival must be to any one of the following cities: Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Shenyang. 
The traveler must:

  • Have a valid airline ticket or travel document to a third country. i.e. the Visa is not applicable if it is return flight to the same country. So London-Beijing-London, would not be applicable. But London-Beijing-Hong Kong or London-Beijing-Singapore would
  • The travel document must have a confirmed flight on a fixed date within the 72 hours
  • If the "third country" requires a Visa, the traveller must already have this
  • The traveller may not leave the city of entry. They must remain within that city's limits for the 72 hour period

Keep Me Updated